Monday 17 June 2013

Lillooet Airport June 2013 Version

A Fathers day weekend roadtrip with my son and daughter up Hwy 1 and then over to Lillooet BC. Nice warm, dry weather there to help peel away the chill of the less than stellar weather down in Vancouver.

The airport was busier than last year when Brian Fitzpatrick and I went up there. For some reason there was a cluster of spray bar equipped helicopters.

I had to do a bit of research to figure out the type of machine that we were looking at. There are 2 different manufacturers represented on the field.
The most challenging for me was what turned out to be Hiller UH-12's that were converted to turbine power. I found out ( 2 minutes ago ) that the turbine model is called a UH-12E3T, and apparently they pack more weight than any other light turbine helicopter on the market.

Update. ( later that same day ) I read the Lillooet newspaper that I brought back. The Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources is spraying 5390 hectares of forest with Foray48b to fight against the Western Spruce Budworm

Here is a video of a turbine Hiller ( not my video )

The other machines are French made Aerospatiale Alouettes...I think...there are a few versions that look similar ( wild ass guess made by amateur )

Video of Alouette II spraying ( not my video )


I have no idea what the mission would be...maybe BC Hydro right of way spraying....perhaps agricultural work.



That white, downward angled driveshaft for the tail rotor looks like such a curious piece of engineering....but obviously...it works just fine

Up close to the spray bar and nozzle











185 Amphib, a Mooney and the 1956 172 that was parked there last year








Looks very light duty, doesn't it?





The signature Mooney tail



Last years post about the 1956 Cessna 172
 http://adventuresinmikeslife.blogspot.ca/2012/08/the-only-plane-at-lillooet-airporta.html

No comments:

Post a Comment