Thursday 8 August 2013

Kent Avery...The English Bay Stone Balancing Artist

I've seen Kent's work  between 2nd and 3rd Beach for years now, but never met him. On this day I woke up with nasty allergies that forced me out early to get fresh air. I grabbed a McD's coffee and headed out for my usual Lost Lagoon/Seawall stroll.

It was a perfect morning, still air, warm...and my favourite part...friendly people. That part is not always available in Vancouver, but on this day, most everyone insisted on saying good morning and hello.

When I came across the stones that were oh so carefully balanced on the large beach boulders, I decided it was good enough scene to grab a few pics. If I had my cameras with me.

I took the 10 minutes to head back to my apartment to load up on cameras, luckily noticing the missing battery in one before I got too far.

The next lucky thing was that the stone artist, Kent Avery had returned to his beach studio to disassemble the balancing acts. Kent was very friendly and open about his art form and spoke at length in his laid back beach guy style.

Here is part 1 and part 2 of the video I took of our summer morning meeting and chat.


Here are still photos of the walk over to the beach where Kent Avery had his beach stone studio

Kent Avery works his magic just on the other side of that curve in the Stanley Park seawall

Another stone artist created this heart shape in the low tide sand

Directly across from the heart of stones was this tree heart....a distinct theme going on in this area

Return trip for me...cameras in tow at about 730 am. I think the yellow crew boats carries the ship pilots out to the waiting freighters

There's Kent Avery working away on the beach

Kent Avery riding his bicycle home from the scene of the art

Guy and his dog on the low tide beach in the early morning
Here is someone else's video story about Kent

And here is a website that features amazing photos of the balanced rocks ( not my photos )
http://www.vancouveroncanvas.com/giclee_on_canvas/balancedstones/balancedstones-22.php







No comments:

Post a Comment